Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hello internet faithful!

It's Mark, Brittany's husband...

I just wanted to give you a quick update on a couple of life experiences that I had recently.  As you know, I am on the job hunt again because, life is just easier when you have a job :)  Earlier this week, I scheduled an interview with a nice church outside of Grand Rapids for this evening.  It's very exciting anytime you get an interview in this economic climate, but especially at a place that you actually want to work at!

Let me set the stage here: Things have been a little stressful here.  With visitors coming and going(please don't get me wrong, we love our visitors!!!!), busy work schedule, dealing with some tough people, tons of pollen in the air making my allergies flair up a little, prepping to pack and move across the country, and look for a job, things are just piling up.  So last night, Brittany and I got to bed a little late, but I fell asleep very, very quickly.  Welllllllll, the middle of the night rolls around and I am shaken awake by my lovely wife, who groggily informed me, "I noticed you fell asleep, so I woke you up!"  Then she rolled over and didn't say another peep!  Not sure what to say about that one.  It seems that her heart was in the right place, right?

Anyway, I'm at work this morning, worrying about my interview later tonight, and I get a call from a 248 area code, which of course is a metro detroit  area code.  I take the call, and it's another church calling me back and I have a quick phone interview with that church!  That church sound pretty cool, really big, but I would have a great opportunity to work on a satellite campus, work with all the other youth directors from the other satellite campus's and have an overseeing youth director helping all of the the satellite youth directors.  This is awesome!  However, in the course of this interview, I was asked what the last movie I saw was.  I blanked!  At least it was on a kinda silly question, but I felt so dumb.  The only movie I could think of was Apaloosa!  A decent western that I had rented from a redbox movie vendor.  I didn't think of "the hurt locker," I didn't think of "where the wild things are," and I didn't think of "avatar," the movie that I saw in the theater and in 3-d!!!!  Which ps, gave me a serious headache, and  some crazy blood shot eye!  Anyway, I'm panicking now.  So I try to explain how awesome redbox distribution centers are for seeing movies at an inexpensive prices, and she has no idea what I'm talking about!  Mind you, this is church is in an area known for it's wealth.  I felt like such a goof!  I stand by my love for redbox movies, it's a good deal!  The rest of the interview felt like it went well, so now I'm playing the waiting game with them.  (Almost forgot, she also asked me what books I was reading and all I could think of was Harry Potter... Another strikeout, hahaha!  However, I didn't say Harry Potter, I recovered and shared about the John Piper book I'm reading, it's called Momentary Marriage, and it's really great!  You should all read it!)

Same story with the church from Grand Rapids, I felt like the interview went well and I'm playing the waiting game...  Yup, just waiting.  If I can make a request across cyberspace here, please pray for me that I can get blessed with a job :)  Thanks!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark! I totally enjoyed reading your post. I think you should refer potential employers to this blog i it gives a wonderful slice of who you are, a man of great character who is focused on doing the right thing and trying to successfully juggle many balls as you experience this transition period. Count on your MI Sheets family to be praying for you fervently!

    I had to smile (and be impressed that you didn't express further annoyance) when you said that Brittany woke you up for no apparent reason. It's pretty much been a lifelong pattern that whenever she is overly stressed or worried, she wakes up her sleeping partner. I can remember many nights of being roused from a deep slumber with "Are you asleep Mom?" Not anymore! Oh well. :-)

    I know this is a hugely stressful time - you two just need to forge ahead, one step at a time,and not worry about the "what if's". You are on the right track - lodging, job, school, and tending to each other along the way. God is right there with you!

    Mark, I smiled about your movie story - I wouldn't worry about it. If the church doesn't want you because you couldn't think of a classier movie at the time, I doubt if that's the place you're meant to be.

    Hang in there, my sweet children/adults/always babies to me.

    Love, Mom Sheets

    ReplyDelete