Sunday, June 19, 2011

Celebrations

Today I attended the state championships for girls soccer. Plainwell was playing, and it was awesome. I have gone to a few games, and they are really entertaining. I love soccer, and Lex has a few friends that play, and its just fun to sit in the crowd and chat. Anyway. Today, after a very toasty, intense 80 minutes of game Plainwell won. Plainwell girls are the state champions. I sat with my mom and Jenna, and we celebrated. We hugged and got way more into it than was probably necessary or appropriate for a family that has no one involved in the Plainwell soccer program. I watched them jump and scream and hug and people cry and run out and hug them so tight they spun them around.

Right after Plainwell won.
(I totally creeped and stole this picture from facebook)

And I actually got sad.
Sad.
In this moment of pure happiness I got a bit jealous. I thought I will never win anything like that. I will never win a big game or a race or triathlon and get to have everyone cheer and jump up and down with excitement. I wont have anything to celebrate like that.
And then I got thinking.
Nope, I wont.
I will never win a state championship for soccer, or a race or anything athletic. Ever.
But, we will have victories to celebrate.
We will celebrate graduating PA school next May.
We will celebrate (oh will we celebrate) when Mark gets a full time job.
We will celebrate beating cancer.
We will celebrate when first find out we are going to have a child.
We will celebrate how God is pursuing us and loving us and providing for us.
We will cheer and hug and spin around.
We will celebrate.


That is what God taught me today.
Go Plainwell.

3 comments:

  1. Hi honey,
    I got a little teary-eyed as I read your post about celebrating. I feel soooooo blessed that you have perspective about the important celebrations in life but also recognize your humanness. Yes, it was awesome to see the wonderful "spinning and hugging and cheering" of the PHS state soccer championship - it was truly wonderful. But even MORE wonderful is to see your acknowledgement of the celebrations God values even more - health, children, and other life milestones! And know that the spinning and hugging and cheering is just as intense for those. In fact, I had my own personal celebration today. When we had our impromptu lunch on this most tender of days (at least for me), Father's Day, I felt incredible joy that you, Mark, Jenna, and Alexa were all there with me. What a reason to celebrate!! How many mothers can say that their grown children gathered in this way?!!? It is of course important THAT we celebrate, but also WHAT we are celebrating....and of course it is also wonderful that we celebrate things like state soccer championships. But I am celebrating the fact that I have a daughter who has a very wise perspective on the whole celebration concept!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and it's so true. We cannot compare our lives to others, but enjoy our very own moments that are worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete