Saturday, July 31, 2010

First Thyroid-less week...

Hi! Its Brittany here (aka this wont be funny like Mark's updates) :), and I thought I would fill you in on our lives this past week. What a week! Like Mark said, the surgery went really well. They ended up taking out 8 lymph nodes all from the right side of my neck, the whole thyroid, and one parathyroid. The incision is healing up well, and I just have to wait for the steri-strips to turn black and fall off (eww). Don't worry I will try and cover it up then to not gross people out. It has actually been a little bit more painful in the past couple of days than it was at first. They say this is a combo of the numbing meds wearing off, and doing more. I still don't have full range of motion, and it even hurts to just hold my head up straight (feels like its pulling the incision), but I am sure it will heal up nicely!

I am feeling the effects of not having any thyroid function (aka severe hypothyroidism). I cannot start taking any thyroid replacement until after radiation - so like another 5 weeks. Some of these fun effects are fatigue, weight gain, hair loss, and muscle cramps.

We met with my regular doctor this week about my stomach and to follow up with my calcium (which is now back to normal - Praise God). She gave me some meds to try with my stomach and they seem to be helping, so that is exciting. The stomach thing was really just frustrating and seemed like just a kick while we were down. Hopefully this medication keeps helping, and we don't have to worry about that as much. We also had a follow up appointment with the surgeon (Dr. Stewart), and he was great. He just has so much good info, is really good at explaining things, and doesn't make you feel rushed or annoying at all. We are meeting with the radiation/oncologist next week, and having a consultation with them, so hopefully they will be as impressive as Dr. Stewart.

This week has not all been medical appointments, we have had some fun. We went and saw a movie, we walked out and didn't really like the movie, but we both said how we didn't think about anything else during the 2 hours, so it was a perfect distraction from "real life". We had lunch with Michael and Mandy Fernihough (the couple who did our premarital counseling, and Michael married us and is the youth pastor at RBC). They have been such an encouragement and blessing to us in our marriage. They are always there for us, and are such a great example of a solid family that loves Jesus. They are moving to Colorado this week to work at a church plant and while it is so sad, it is awesome to see them be so faithful.

Our friends Ashley and her boyfriend Bill came from Lansing last night and it was SO great to see friends!! We just chatted, had dinner, played a little pictionary, it was fun. Mark went back over to Detroit today because he is going to start his part time job tomorrow! Yayy! He had to go today, because my sisters lost my keys, and he needed to have them let him into the apartment (where there is another set of apartment keys). I cant wait to hear how things go at the church tomorrow. We are so thankful to have this job, and I know Mark is ready to be working again!!


Me and Annie!
The incision - its healing!
We love scrabble!
Mark has been doing lots of work for my mom (he power washed and re stained the whole deck too!!), but this is him replacing the garbage disposal. Please notice he is wearing the hospital socks :)
Anna cheesing it up
We know that God is good, and have never doubted that God allowed this cancer to be in my body at this exact time, and that it is all apart of his perfect plan, and will bring the most glory to him. Thanks so much for praying for us, for all the people who have brought meals to our family, and just been awesome to us.

Love,
Brittany

2 comments:

  1. I am so touched by your post, Britt. I have watched you struggle since the surgery - with pain, with extreme fatigue, with fear, with the unknown - and yet you always refocus yourself on the positive. I would probably be writing about the scary, negative stuff. So, this comment is filled with humble admiration of my sweet daughter and her wonderful husband. Because of your hopeful positive perspectives, when you look back at this blog years from now, you will remember those respite moments you caught - lunch with the Fernihoughs, a bad movie, Mark's "fix-it" ventures, whipping your mother at Scrabble, a few exhausting but fulfilling hours with sweet Anna, and of course, "sister time."

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just heard the news recently. Decent excuse for why you guys couldn't hang out the other day. Praying hard for you. Jenny too. So proud of you putting faith into action when it isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete