Thursday, May 19, 2011

Psych is sad....

Oh my gosh, psych is turning out to be really sad.
At first, there were sad patients, but many were also drug abusers, and that made it easier to swallow that they were homeless and had such rough lives for me. But lately, its been different. We have had so many young people in just terrible situations.
I the past few days I have seen:
-  A 22 year old college student driving her car, hit head on (not her fault) and has been in the hospital for over 2 months and will never be the same (her parents have gotten divorced over the stress of the accident).
- A lady with a BMI of 11(no joke) who weighed 60 pounds. It was being investigated if her husband was abusing her.
- A man who got tied up with 3 of his friends (after robbing someone), and his three friends got shot and killed and he got let go. And has been in so many street fights and in and out of jail.
- A girl who was high on crack and had her baby on the floor of her house while she was high (so did not get medical help for a while), her baby got taken by the state.
- A girl who got pregnant when she was 12 and her mom beat her when she found out. The girl is now 20 and wants to have a relationship with her 8 year old son.
- A girl who thought her son was being molested, and we had to call child protective services.
- A 19 year old girl who just gave birth to twins, and has a 9 month old and 2 year old, and we were called for her cutting her self because she was stressed out (really??)
- A pregnant girl who asked how she felt about her baby said "I don't want it"
- And today, was literally the hardest patient I have seen, it was a fairly young girl, who had just gave birth to her 4th child. She had her at 4pm yesterday, and I saw her this morning and she had not seen the baby yet. When I asked why, she said she didn't want to because she did not know what to do with it (she kept saying it even though it was a girl), and it was just heartbreaking. She had not named her. She did not want her in the room. She was not aloof, you could just see her heart being broken. She cried throughout the whole hour interview, and just said how she doesn't think she will be the best mom for the baby. She seemed to genuinely want to better her life, but has three other kids (two who don't live with her) and is just spinning her wheels. She said the babies father has no interest in her or the baby. She is living with a friend, and braiding hair for income. She literally broke my heart. She was really open with me and I felt like I was talking to a friend, or a sister. We talked about adoption a lot, which praise Jesus, thanks to my avid blog reading, and research into adoption I was able to talk to her intelligently. I literally was holding back tears.
This is just so not God's design.
 Babies are suppose to be celebrated, and loved, and prayed over.
 Families are suppose to rejoice.
 Dad's are suppose to be there to love and support their wives, and hold their babies.
 I just kept thinking of that poor baby girl down in the nursery, perfectly healthy but no had been there to see her. No one celebrated her birthday yet. It literally just like broke my heart. I wanted to lay down next to my patient and just cry. Then I wanted to take her and her baby home with me. It literally just broke my heart. Mark and I have wanted to adopt, and this just confirms it so much. Detroit is so broken. I want to adopt more than ever.I think of my friends who are pregnant or recently had babies, and how much support they get, and how their families are so excited, and how they celebrate each milestone, and how if there is bad news - there are people around them to speak truth and support them. This girl had not told anyone she was pregnant and no one had been there to see her. She did not have a relationship with her parents or any siblings. No friends had called or came.  So much brokenness.

Well, that is my sad story. But I really do love being in the hospital. I enjoy learning, and seeing patients and it's just a really fun thing. And, we do see lots of funny things still. Things that are a little less intense, and just pretty funny.

And, in other exciting news. I have a roommate! My little sister Jenna got an internship in Detroit this summer at Enterprise. It's great. We have never lived together outside of our parents house, and its fun! Minus the fact that in the first few minutes of her being here she opened the fridge and a whole carton of eggs fell on the floor and smashed. Oh yeah - I have a carpeted kitchen. Shoot me. Now we are trying to get the rotten egg smell out. Any ideas?

Other news: Mark has a phone interview Monday (also his birthday!!) at a church. Pray. We have literally gotten 530895 "no-you-are-great-but-not-enough-experience" letters/e-mails/calls. We are ready for a yes :)

Brittany

3 comments:

  1. Wow, so heartbreaking. So glad these young people have you in their lives to help enocourage and speak truth in your life. P.S. I pray that Mark gets a job at a church soon. I know it is hard to be stuck in the 'waiting' game. Pray it ends for you both soon and you can be together again!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany,
    I had time to hop on your blog because Mark is bringing Bryce home from Impact for me tonight. I just want you to know how much we have appreciated Mark's ministry and teaching at gracespring. We don't want him to EVER leave our church... but if any of those other church's want to hear from real live students they should call my kids because they are always talking about how awesome Mark is. :-) Hmmm... maybe they should put together a video clip for Mark to include with one of those millions of applications. Praying for you guys! Oh... Elizabeth dropped a dozen eggs on our kitchen CARPET when she was little... hate to say it - the smell went away but we always had a hard spot after that on the carpet. Thankful for having wood flooring now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, I love your extra-large, caring heart. I so feel your pain...and someday you and Mark will be AWESOME parents. In the meantime, remember that God has a place for Mark - He is just not revealing it yet. It obviously is not at gracespring - amazingly unbelieveable, but we have to have faith in Him as we wait to see what He has in store for our Godly, wonderful teacher and pastor, Mark. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete