Monday, May 17, 2010

On the road again!

Well, I just got done driving myself across the country.  For those of you curious how far it is from Abilene, tx to Warren, MI, it's 1350 miles.  I have to be honest, I'm pretty proud of the fact that I did it in about 23 hours!  I stopped for a couple hours of sleep, curled up in the fetal position in the front seats of the chariot of doom(for those of you who don't know, that is what I named my ford focus wagon).  Not the most comfortable because of:

a) seat belt poking me in the side
b) it's a tiny space
c) car's are not made for sleeping
d) when I fell asleep my ear was folded over
e) all of the above

The correct answer is e!  Thanks for all who played!  The ear thing was more of a when-I-woke-up type thing, but I'm counting it!  Have you ever fallen asleep when your ear is folded???  It's the worst!!  I hurts so bad, you wake up thinking that the dream you had of Van Gogh cutting your ear off was actually true...  Any way, I survived.  It was in a nice little travel plaza just outside of senic Vinita, OK.  The bonus was that when I woke up and tumbled out of my car in the morning, there was a McDonald's right there waiting to give me a breakfast burrito and a cup of coffee!  Ba-da-da-da-daaaaaaaa, I'm lovin' it!!! 

Time for another quiz question.  Which animal crossed the road in front of me?


a) Coyote
b) Wild Pig
c) Huge Racoon
d) Deer
e) all of the above

Answer: e!  The coyote and wild pig were kinda cool to see, I'm sure anyone who follows are blog has already heard enough about deer crossing the road in front of cars, but the racoon really impressed me!  This thing was massive!  To give you an idea, it's was roughly the size of a horse, no exageration!  Luckily, I was an alert driver and swerved just in time to drive under it's massive frame and in between it's legs!  I have a little car, remember??  That's why I had to give it a sweet, manly name!

It was foggy the whole time I was in texas and oklahoma.  And it rained the whole trip, until I got into the friendly mitten!  Something you should know about me, hate using my windshield wipers.  I don't hate windshield wipers, in fact, I think they are great and do a great job at what they do, however, for some reason, I just don't like to use them!  But there were times on this trip that it rained so hard, that when I had my wipers turned as fast as they could go, I found myself wishing they could go faster! 

Things I learned on this trip:
1) In oklahoma, you aren't supposed to drive through smoke, but fog is alright.
2) During the course of a long night of driving by myself, I enjoy talking to the toll booth attendents.  (Just to be clear, I do not enjoy paying tolls)
3) 5 hour energy drink does not replace sleep, which makes me wonder if it really has a purpose then....
4) Get directions from google, yahoo, ask, and mapquest.  They will all give you different directions.  For me, ask.com gave the fastest this time, however, some times their directions aren't very clear.


That's all I can think of right now...  So, let me leave you with this unrealated thought: When you have a huge box of business cards with information that is no longer correct, please do something fun with them.  For me, it's was randomly covering a coworkers office with them as a goodbye present.  This was me and my intern Will covering his office in my old business cards....

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Mark....I love your stories! And your quizes! I cannot believe you made that trip in 23 hours - amazing. It is exhausting, just hearing you write about it. Your picture of the business card explosion is priceless...I love hearing all your tales. And I am VERY glad that you made it safely to MI!! Can't wait to see you next weekend!
    Love,
    Mom Sheets

    ReplyDelete